Do you find that blank space above your cozy brick fireplace calling out to you, urging you to make the most of it for your entertainment needs? Maybe you’re thinking about hanging a TV there? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
The modern TVs with slim, stylish profiles effortlessly transform your space into a captivating piece of art, especially when harmonized with a tasteful brick wall backdrop. In this article, we invite you to embark on a journey with us as we expertly guide you through the seamless process of mounting your TV with grace and sophistication above a charming brick fireplace. This isn’t merely a practical upgrade; it’s a bold and refined statement that promises to elevate the entire ambiance of your home.
So, let’s get started…..
Table of Contents
Tools You’ll Need For Mounting the TV on Brick Wall
Mounting a TV on a brick wall is no rocket science, but before you begin, it’s important to collect the necessary tools and supplies, which include:
- Power drill: While you have the option to use any power drill, it’s worth noting that a cordless drill with a hammer function will ensure better performance.
- Masonry drill bits: When it comes to tough brick surfaces, masonry bits are an indispensable tool. These specialized bits with chisel-like tips and wings effortlessly penetrate heavy-duty materials.
- Level: Using a level ensures precision during installation, ensuring your TV is perfectly aligned.
- Anchors or concrete screws: The right choice of anchors or concrete screws will ensure your TV’s stability. For larger, heavier TVs, opt for reliable concrete screws, while plastic wall anchor screws are perfect for lighter ones.
- Tape measure: For achieving a perfectly centered and leveled TV installation, arming yourself with a tape measure is necessary.
- Washers: In case, if the slots and holes on the mounting hardware are larger than the screw heads, you’ll need appropriately-sized washers to ensure a secure fit.
- TV Wall Mount Kit: Ensure sturdy TV support by selecting a wall mount tailored to your TV’s size.
- Safety gear: When drilling into brick, dust is inevitable. Safeguard your eyes and respiratory health by wearing safety glasses and a dust mask.
- Tape measure: A tape measure is a necessity for accurate bracket placement.
- Permanent marker: The rugged surface of brick can pose challenges when marking, but a permanent marker effortlessly overcomes this obstacle. Its bold and lasting marks will ensure precision in your installation.
Step-by-Step Procedure to Hang a TV on a Brick Wall
Step 1: Choose a location
When it comes to setting up your TV, the first step is to select the perfect spot. Look for a spot where sunlight won’t create annoying glare. Think about how high the TV should be from the floor or fireplace. Don’t hesitate to ask a friend or family member for their input, in case of confusion.
Remember, it’s not just about hanging the TV; it’s about making your TV-watching experience awesome. So, take time and think about all the things that could affect your view. See how the light hits your chosen spot throughout the day. Since you don’t want to redo this, finding the right spot is super important.
Also, make sure to consider practical stuff like where the cable jacks, outlets, and internet connections are. The neater and cleaner you can make the setup with fewer visible cables, the better it will look. Your entertainment area will look fantastic if you plan it all out carefully.
Also read: BEST WALL MOUNTED ELECTRIC FIREPLACE
Step 2: Take Measurements
For bracket placement, precise measurements are a must. start by measuring from the base of the bracket to the bottom of your TV. Then, simply add this measurement to your preferred TV height from the floor. Let’s say you want the TV base to be 56 inches from the ground, and your measurement is 5 inches – that means you’ll be marking 61 inches high on the wall.
Now that you’ve got these measurements ready, it’s time to put your plan into action. Carefully detach the wall bracket from your TV, but if you have a two-part bracket, leave one half attached. This will ensure a seamless and secure TV mounting process that you can depend on.
Also read: What Color Should I Paint My Brick Fireplace
Step 4: Mark the drill holes
With all measurements done, the next step is marking the drill points on the brick wall. To create the markings, make use of a permanent marker.
To ensure precision and uniformity in your drill points, it’s crucial to use a level. Allocate sufficient time to this step, so that precision of the markings is ensured.
Subsequently, mark the positions where you’ll need to place the screws to securely mount the TV. This meticulous process will guarantee a seamlessly aligned TV setup.
Step 5: Drill the holes
As you commence the drilling process, it’s important to proceed at a gentle pace. Begin with a low drill speed, then go on gradually increasing it. In addition, ensure that the drill bit remains at a perfect 90-degree angle to the brick surface. This ensures even drilling and prevents any unwanted slipping.
Furthermore, remember to clear out the brick dust from the hole simultaneously by gently pulling the drill bit out. Continue drilling until you’ve reached your desired depth.
During the drilling, you’ll notice a fair amount of dust coming out of the brick wall. Therefore, it’s essential to safeguard your eyes and lungs by wearing safety glasses and a mask.
Also read: How to Lime Wash Brick Fireplace
Step 6: Install Wall Brackets
It’s time to mount those TV brackets on the wall. As you place the bracket against the wall, make sure the holes are perfectly aligned. Don’t forget to attach those reliable washers to the screws. This will guarantee a snug fit inside the bracket, providing a secure hold on the wall. As you firmly secure the bracket, swiftly guide the screws through the holes.
Now, it is time to elevate your game. Equip your ratchet with a drill bit or socket, and start tightening those screws. Take your time, applying pressure gradually. After securing each screw in place, take a close look at the bracket to ensure it’s perfectly leveled. Continue your efforts until every screw is firmly secured, providing the bracket with rock-solid security.
Step 7: Install the TV
When it comes to mounting your TV on a brick wall, the key is to ensure a seamless installation. For this, it is advisable to seek assistance from someone to make the process smoother.
If you are utilizing two-piece wall brackets, consider screwing the TV brackets that are already fastened to your television onto the wall bracket.
Focus on the screws or tabs that are supposed to hold your TV firmly in place as described in the bracket’s instructions.
Getting assistance from a friend to hold the television steady might be helpful if you’re dealing with one-piece brackets. With their help, you can skillfully thread the screws through the TV mount and into the TV’s back. Make sure the TV is securely fastened to the fixed wall bracket, and take care of any wiring that may be hidden there. If unattractive cables are protruding, you might want to think about putting furniture underneath the TV to properly hide them.
Also read: How to Hide Tv Wires Over Brick Fireplace
The Do’s and Don’ts of Mounting a TV Above a Fireplace
- Measure Properly: Begin by accurately measuring both the TV and the fireplace to determine the ideal placement.
- Use a Tilting Mount: Enhance your viewing experience by selecting a tilting TV mount, allowing you to adjust the viewing angle as needed.
- Professional Installation: For a secure and expertly installed setup, consider hiring a professional installer.
- Hide Cables: Ensure a tidy and clutter-free appearance by concealing wires and cables.
- Test for Heat: Before installation, verify that the fireplace emits a safe level of heat that won’t harm the TV.
- OLED TV: If possible, opt for an OLED TV to enjoy superior viewing angles and a high-quality display.
- Heat-Resistant Materials: Use heat-resistant materials for the TV mounting setup to guarantee safety and durability.
- Test Viewing Angle and Comfort: Before finalizing the installation, test the viewing angle and seating comfort to ensure an optimal viewing experience.
- Avoid Mounting Too High: Position the TV at an appropriate height to prevent neck strain and discomfort.
- DIY Installation without Experience: Refrain from attempting installation if you lack prior experience to ensure a secure and safe setup.
- Ignore Heat Factors: Don’t overlook the heat generated by the fireplace; use heat-resistant materials and consider ventilation.
- Flammable Materials: Avoid using flammable materials near the TV or fireplace surroundings for safety.
- Neglect Wall Studs: Don’t skip the crucial step of checking for wall studs; use proper anchors for stability.
- Block Ventilation: Prevent overheating issues by not obstructing fireplace vents.
- Neglect Cable Management: Ensure a tidy appearance by properly concealing cables.
- Avoid Limited Viewing Angles: If possible, steer clear of using LED TVs with limited viewing angles for a more versatile viewing experience.
Transform your home entertainment experience by elevating it to new heights – mount your TV on a brick fireplace. While it might seem daunting for beginners, with the right approach, it becomes an attainable and worthwhile endeavor.
To ensure a safe and secure setup, start by carefully examining the weight ratings of your mounting hardware. However, whether you opt for a DIY approach or enlist professional assistance hinges on your confidence and the availability of the required tools and materials for installation. If you have the required equipment, make sure to meticulously follow the provided hardware instructions.
Well, this step-by-step guide attempts to simplify the process, making it accessible to individuals of all skill levels. But the journey doesn’t end with installation. Resist the temptation to watch your favorite shows right away. Instead, conduct crucial final checks: employ a level to check your TV sits perfectly horizontally, rigorously test its functionality, and conduct a comprehensive inspection for any loose screws or brackets.
As you complete these steps, take pride in your achievement. You’ve not only mounted your TV on the brick fireplace but also introduced sophistication and space-saving functionality to your living space. Welcome to a new era of home entertainment, where every viewing experience is elevated!!